Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Some Change is Bitter Sweet

This blog is mostly all about my boys: Tyson and the four little munchkins we made, and then my babysittees (since basically everyone I babysit are boys too).  But, for the past three and a half years I have had a huge section of my life that has been just girls.

For anyone who doesn't understand the inner workings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, almost always each member of the church is giving a calling, or an assignment.  This gives not only a feeling of purpose, but also helps each of us work in unity to take care of each other and help each of us to draw closer to our Savior.  My calling for the past several years has been working with the young women (girls ages 12-18) in our ward (or congregation).

I have LOVED it.  The girls are hilarious and so kind.  I have found so much solace whenever I am with them.  I have taught them, and they have taught me, and with several of the girls I have become their friend.  It is such a wonderful feeling to belong with them, to know I was loved.  And I love them.  And as my whole life is surrounded with boys, I cannot even begin to express how much of a blessing it was to actually be with girls, to cry and feel normal.  And the other leaders I have worked with are incredible.  They are like superwomen and have taught me so much.  They have become some of my closest friends.

Well, this last Sunday, I was released from my calling.  It is normal, we all have different assignments and the Lord knew someone else was needed to work with the young women and I (hopefully) learned and taught everything I needed to.  I know if my heart that this is how it needs to be and I feel (as cliché as this sounds) at peace with it.  There really is no other way to describe it, because I am not really happy about it.

It will just be so weird to be at church and go to the normal classes (like with the women that are my own age) and not be with my girls.  But I am so excited to watch them from the sidelines now, to see them grow up and I know it will be okay because I will still be here and get to hear all their stories and excitement for life.  My heart just hurts a little.

It is probably ridiculous to be in this state of mourning, but since change always makes me a little sad and writing is how I process, you get to read this soppy story.  :)

Good news is, change also makes me excited.  It means surprises are in the future.  I don't know what the Lord has in store for me next.  It could be anything.  I could be asked to be a leader or arrange chairs or coordinate parties, or work with cub scouts (I would have even more boys to write about lol), or have no calling at all.  That is okay, because I still have a purpose, to do all I can to lead people to Christ.  I'm excited about that.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cami, you have such an amazing perspective and a way with words. I love reading your blog and hearing about your life, and I also love hearing your spiritual insights...I loved reading your description of why we have callings--even though deep down I knew that it still was a great reminder. (Sometimes I just get caught up in being stressed and forget WHY I am doing what I'm doing, you know?) And then the last couple sentences of this post are just perfect. I love that you see life that way and it is such a great reminder that that is how I need to, too! Those young women were so blessed to have been able to learn from you. I can imagine you being the most wonderful leader! Did you get a new calling?

    ReplyDelete